Snow Leopard WiFi
Something's very, very wrong. Command-line programs like ping and curl work
fine. Safari, Camino, Firefox routinely think they have no internet connection
and give up trying. Some things that help:
- Flushing the DNS cache (fixes problem for one web page fetch)
- Restarting WiFi, or creating a new "location" in system preferences
(an oft-quoted solution to this problem on the forums) -- fixes problem for
nearly a minute
- Restarting computer (which, incidentally, is an insanely fast 10 seconds) --
fixes problem for about a minute.
This is on a late 2008 model MacBook connecting to a NetGear router. Things
I've yet to try:
- Put the kernel in 64-bit mode
- Try another router (I have an old Apple one)
- Downgrade to Leopard (clean install I imagine -- shudder).